- 2 February 2010 15:19
Kingston Digital Launches New Ultra-Secure USB Flash Drive
Sydney, Australia: February 2, 2010 –
Kingston Digital, Inc., the Flash memory affiliate of Kingston Technology Company,
Inc., the independent world leader in memory products, today announced the release
of the DataTraveler 5000 USB Flash drive. The DataTraveler 5000 is FIPS 140-2
Level 2 certified with Level 3 pending, and features 256-bit AES hardware-based
encryption. It uses XTS cipher mode and also uses elliptic curve cryptography
(ECC) algorithms to meet Suite B standards approved by the U.S. government.
“The DataTraveler 5000 delivers unsurpassed levels of security and encryption to government and enterprise customers,” said Vaughan Nankivell, Regional Manager, Australia and New Zealand, Kingston. “This portable data solution represents state-of-the-art data protection while providing end users with the simplicity of plug and play.”
The DataTraveler 5000 utilizes patented Secured by SPYRUS technology which supports hardware-based 256-bit AES-XTS and Suite B cryptography, including ECC. Suite B algorithms were specifically selected and approved by the U.S. government and the Department of Defense for use in multinational data sharing environments including both classified and unclassified applications. XTS-AES mode is a cipher mode for encryption that is much stronger than CBC, ECB and other modes. SPYRUS, Inc., is the leader in the development of advanced hardware-based encryption, authentication and digital content security products.
FIPS 140-2 certification requires a validation process that meets federal requirements set by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). This is critical because many governmental agencies in the United States mandate that sensitive “data at rest” (i.e., all information not in the network) must be encrypted with the FIPS 140-2 standard. Level 2 means the DataTraveler 5000 has a tamper-evident construction which acts to notify any users if their drive has been tampered with. It also has a power-on self test that verifies the encryption mechanism is running properly each time the drive is plugged into a USB port. The drive is expected to receive a FIPS 140-2 Level 3 certificate soon.
The DataTraveler 5000 is available in 2-, 4-, 8- and 16GB capacities. It will also be available with an onboard Malware scanning application via Kingston’s extensive customization program.
For more information visit: www.kingston.com/anz.
DataTraveler 5000 Features and Specifications:
· Dimensions: 3.06" x 0.9" x 0.47" (77.9mm x 22mm x 12.05mm)
· Capacities1: 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB
· Compatibility: designed to USB 2.0 specifications
· Operating Temperature: 32°F to 140°F (0°C to 60°C)
· Storage Temperature: -4°F to 185°F (-20°to 85°C)
· Minimum System Requirements2:
-USB 2.0 compliant and 1.1 compatible
· -Two (2) free consecutive drive letters required for use
· FIPS 140-2 Level 2 Certified
· Secure: drive locks down after 10 intrusion attempts and encryption key is destroyed
- Enforced complex password protection: password is user set with minimum characteristics to prevent unauthorized access
- Passwords never stored on device
- Hardware designed and assembled in the U.S.
- SPYRUS Suite B on Board
- Elliptic curve cryptography
- Secure channel communication
- Digitally signed firmware updates using Suite B SHA-384 and ECDSA P-384
- DT5000 can operate with AutoRun disabled
- Enforces tamper-free AutoRun files
- Fully customizable Malware scanning option3
· Cryptography: Made in the U.S.
· Full Privacy: 100 percent of stored data is protected by 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) hardware-based encryption ? master key recreated at logon
· Customizable3: preload content, full security policy customization, casing options
· Tamper Evident: tamper-evident coating/seal for physical security
· Waterproof4: protected against water damage
· Guaranteed: five-year warranty with free customer support
· Ruggedized: waterproof and titanium-coated stainless steel casing
|Windows Vista5 (SP1, SP2)
|Windows XP (SP1, SP2, SP3)
2 First free drive letters after physical devices such as system partition, optical drives, etc.
3 Available via customization program.
4 Up to 4 ft.
5 Does not support ReadyBoost™.
Product and Pricing Summary
Product Name: DataTraveler 5000
DataTraveler 5000 2GB : AU$125.00, NZ$157.00
DataTraveler 5000 4GB: AU$189.00, NZ$237.00
DataTraveler 5000 8GB: AU$255.00, NZ$320.00
DataTraveler 5000 16GB: AU$435.00, NZ$545.00
Australian Distributors: Avnet Australia Pty Ltd, Ingram Micro, Simms International Pty Ltd., Synnex Australia PTY Ltd.
New Zealand Distributors: Ingram Micro NZ, Synnex NZ
Warranty: Kingston products are backed by a three-year warranty and free technical support.
Availability: Shipping Immediately
To view Kingston’s FIPS 140-2 Validation Certificate No. 1227, please visit:
FIPS Validated 140-2 is a Certification Mark of National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), which does not imply product endorsement by NIST or the U.S. Government.
To discuss this product on Kingston Blog, please go to www.kingston-blog.com. To try the game “Challenge Your Memory”, please go to
www.kingston-blog.com/challenge_your_memory/en/. To get the freshest information on Kingston, please go to http://twitter.com/KingstonFEPR. To find out if your Kingston product is genuine, Kingston also provides an online verification site: www.kingston.com/anz/verify. To try the game “Search for Genuine Kingston”, please go to anti-counterfeit.kingston-blog.com. For the interesting animation: The Adventures of Rex, please visit: www.theadventuresofrex.com. About Kingston Digital, Inc.
Kingston Digital, Inc. (“KDI”) is the Flash memory affiliate of Kingston Technology Company, Inc., the world’s largest independent manufacturer of memory products. Established in 2008, KDI is headquartered in Fountain Valley, California, USA. For more information, please visit www.kingston.com/anz.
Gap Marketing and Management Pty Ltd