- 29 September 2021 11:51
Secureworks 2021 State of the Threat Report – one of the most comprehensive views of threats in the security industry
Ransomware. Supply-chain exploits. Zero-day attacks. Cryptojacking — cyber threats have taken over 2021 — and they show no sign of stopping, according to the 2021 State of the Threat: A Year in Review report by Secureworks.
The ransomware landscape continues to thrive. Incident volumes, average ransom demands—these factors and more are increasing. The menace of Ransomware-as-a-service (RaaS) affiliate models makes it easy for threat actors to scale their operations and target any industry or business regardless of size. In fact, these attacks can devastate even the largest global conglomerates.
And ransomware accounts for over half of the incidents reported by Secureworks. It is the number-one threat faced daily. However, it’s far from the only threat plaguing businesses. As companies work to solidify their defenses, adversaries do everything in their power to circumvent them.
Secureworks Counter Threat Unit (CTU) analyses trillions of security events every year, and as a result, the Secureworks 2021 report explores some of the most recent, hard-hitting cyberattacks. With this resource, Secureworks has developed a comprehensive view of the threat landscape across the security industry to date.
The report highlights some of the following key topics in cyber for 2021:
• Ransomware – which remains the number one threat for most organisations.
• Cybercriminal and state-sponsored threat actors continue to leverage widely available offensive security tools (OSTs) in network intrusions.
• 2021 has seen increased use of zero-day exploits by threat actors, compared to 2020.
• The role of security controls around authentication will remain crucial.
• State-sponsored activity remains targeted and narrowly focused.
• Just like ransomware, other types of cybercrime continue to flourish.
To access the full report visit https://www.secureworks.com/resources/rp-state-of-the-threat-2021.