- 7 September 2010 12:31
Symantec Eases Customers’ Fears of Deleting Business Information
Sydney, AUSTRALIA – 7 September 2010 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced the availability of Symantec Enterprise Vault 9.0 and Enterprise Vault Discovery Collector technology to help organisations store, manage and discover information across the enterprise. Enterprise Vault 9.0 provides easy compliance and e-discovery searches by combining emails from Microsoft Exchange Online with on-premise archived content sources into a central repository, allowing organisations to reduce costs, centrally manage e-discovery and support internal investigations. Enterprise Vault 9.0 also expands content source support to include Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 1 (SP1), Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 and Domino 8.5.1.
Enterprise Vault Discovery Collector helps organisations easily discover unmanaged information from desktops and laptops, as well as data that has not yet been archived from SharePoint Server and file shares, and quickly produce it for e-discovery requests. Enterprise Vault 9.0 and Enterprise Vault Discovery Collector are the latest releases in Symantec’s Information Management Strategy, to help enable organisations to delete confidently and discover efficiently, while protecting their information completely and deduplicating everywhere to eliminate redundant data.
Symantec's 2010 Information Management Health Check Survey found that while almost 96 percent of enterprises recognise implementing a proper information retention strategy would allow them to delete unnecessary information, less than half actually have a formal information retention plan in place. Companies instead save information indefinitely because they fear deleting information that may be important to the business or may be required as part of a future e-discovery request. As a result, information becomes harder to find and the costs of storing and searching for that information rise.
“Archiving is the foundation of a comprehensive information management strategy and allows organisations to delete confidently,” said Brian Dye, vice president of product management, Information Management Group, Symantec. “Enterprise Vault 9.0 and the new Enterprise Vault Discovery Collector enable IT and legal departments to jointly develop and enforce retention policies, closing the gap between technology and policy to reduce risk.”
New Product Updates:
* Microsoft Business Productivity Online Suite (BPOS) support: Enterprise Vault 9.0 enables customers to use Microsoft Exchange Online with Enterprise Vault to realise the benefits of combining hosted email with on-premise archived content sources into a central repository for easy compliance and e-discovery searches.
* Enterprise Vault Discovery Collector extends search capabilities to unmanaged data sources: Enterprise Vault Discovery Collector supports urgent e-discovery and internal investigation requirements by providing tools for legal users to make early case assessments faster and at a lower cost.
* Enterprise Vault Discovery Accelerator adds deduplication: New deduplication technology within Enterprise Vault Discovery Accelerator eliminates the review and export of redundant files to drive down cost and accelerates time required for an early case assessment.
* New platform support: Enterprise Vault 9.0 expands its platform support to include archiving and discovery of Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 1, Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010, Lotus Domino 8.5.1. Enterprise Vault also enhances Lotus Domino support by adding mail-in databases to capture documents and workflows for storage optimisation and e-discovery.
* Symantec FileStore appliance support: Symantec’s FileStore appliance has been tested and certified with Symantec Enterprise Vault. Using the two together provides organisations with an end-to-end solution for information management and protection in traditional and cloud storage environments. With high-performance file serving and built-in offerings for antivirus, backup/recovery, archiving, snapshots and dynamic storage tiering, FileStore is an ideal foundation for an efficient information infrastructure.
* Integration with NetBackup: Organisations using Symantec NetBackup can now leverage an integrated Enterprise Vault 9.0 agent at no cost to backup Enterprise Vault. Enterprise Vault works with NetBackup to define automatic, policy-based migration strategies that move archived information from disk managed by Enterprise Vault to tape or other media managed by NetBackup.
* “Symantec is always moving in the right direction with its archiving and e-discovery software and the latest Discovery Collector solution addresses top e-discovery challenges,” said Matt Kesner, CIO, Fenwick & West. “Enterprise Vault allows us to archive Microsoft Exchange, moving half of our email to Enterprise Vault for long term storage, so we save significant time and costs.”
* “Enterprise Vault enables us to archive and purge records in the SharePoint Server 2010 database or move that data to cheaper storage, which has helped us reclaim 50 percent, or 1 TB, of primary storage,” said Sergio Fedelini, assistant vice president, IT Infrastructure, Mediterranean Shipping. “Enterprise Vault 9.0 will enable us to roll out SharePoint across all our locations and automatically remove local copies of records from the branch offices. Because of these features, we're going to save on the costs of distributed storage and in bandwidth.”
* “Discovery, preservation, retention and disposition strategies have to span multiple content sources in order to be effective,” said Brian Babineau, senior analyst with Enterprise Strategy Group. “Organisations that archive only one data type and ignore another simply because of technology limitations are failing to maximise IT and legal discovery related cost reductions. This is not a concern for Enterprise Vault 9.0 customers because the solution supports information generated in e-mail, SharePoint Server 2010 and file system applications.”
* “Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 helps customers achieve new levels of productivity and reduce the costs associated with business communications,” said Julia White, director of Microsoft Exchange Product Management at Microsoft Corporation. “By building on Exchange 2010, Symantec helps preserve the familiar user and administrative experiences customers’ desire, while having the flexibility to effectively address retention and compliance.”
* “CMT is a Symantec Archiving and eDiscovery Specialised partner, which aligns perfectly with our mission to be a trusted advisor to each and every client we serve. We have successfully upgraded our own environment along with a select set of customers to Enterprise Vault 9.0, and the product passed all of our tests with flying colors,” said Kurt Klein, CEO, CMT Inc. “CMT’s dedication to becoming experts in Symantec solutions and services, including Enterprise Vault, has helped us differentiate ourselves and provide our customers with high-value solutions that protect and manage their information and systems.”
* “Enterprise Vault is one of the staple products we have offered our customers for more than 10 years and we are a proud Symantec Archiving and eDiscovery Specialised Partner,” said Sevag Ajemian, President, Globanet. “Our customers are facing exponential information growth and new features in Enterprise Vault 9.0 and the Enterprise Vault Discovery Accelerator will help them more efficiently store, manage and discover information across their organisations.”
Symantec Enterprise Vault 9.0, Enterprise Vault Discovery Collector and Enterprise Vault Discovery Accelerator 9.0 are available now worldwide.
* Video: Enterprise Vault 9, A Partner's Point of View
* Podcast: Take Control of Your Information
* Enterprise Vault 9.0 Box Shot
* Symantec's 2010 Information Management Health Check Survey
* State of the Data Centre Report
Connect with Symantec
* Enterprise Vault on Twitter
* Symantec on Facebook
* Symantec Connect Business Community
About Storage from Symantec
Symantec helps organisations secure and manage their information-driven world with storage management, email archiving, backup & recovery solutions.
Symantec is a global leader in providing security, storage and systems management solutions to help consumers and organisations secure and manage their information-driven world. Our software and services protect against more risks at more points, more completely and efficiently, enabling confidence wherever information is used or stored. More information is available at www.symantec.com.
NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.
Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS: Any forward-looking indication of plans for products is preliminary and all future release dates are tentative and are subject to change. Any future release of the product or planned modifications to product capability, functionality, or feature are subject to ongoing evaluation by Symantec, and may or may not be implemented and should not be considered firm commitments by Symantec and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions.
+61 2 9086 2140
+61 2 9954 3492